What is Design Thinking?
Human is the first word that comes in mind when we think about Design Thinking
It’s about simple mindset shifts or ways of asking questions differently—a new way to look at problems.
“Design thinking is a human-centered approach to innovation that draws from the designer’s toolkit to integrate the needs of people, the possibilities of technology, and the requirements for business success.” —Tim Brown, president and CEO, IDEO
To start with, you will find below a short video explaining what is Design Thinking in two minutes:
Key points :
- The process of ideating, prototyping and testing is repeated early on for making mistakes quick, cheap and lead to success
- The process of design thinking provides a method & unifies language for multidisciplinary collaboration leading for greater creativity & better solutions
- The steps of design thinking are :
Design Thinking Methodology
IDEO is an award-winning global design firm that takes a human-centered, design-based approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate and grow.
They identify new ways to serve and support people by uncovering latent needs, behaviors, and desires.
In this video we can see the IDEO step by step methodology to understand how they are dealing with a new project, how they understand the customer needs & actual behaviors & how they are working to prototype their idea in less than one week ! This 20 minutes video is just amazing:
Key points :
Why Is Design Thinking Important?
- It reduces the risk associated with launching new ideas
- It helps organizations learn faster
- It generates solutions that are innovative, not just incremental
3 Essential Aspects
- Empathy + Human-centeredness
- Ideation (generating a lot of ideas)
- Experimentation + Prototyping
Done Right, it…
- Captures the mindsets and needs of the people you’re creating for
- Paints a picture of the opportunities based on the needs of these people
More about Design Thinking
Finally to know better IDEO and his CEO , let’s listen TIM BROWN, their actual CEO (27 min) :