The science of persuasion
Robert Cialdini worked all his life on the science of persuasion.
He is best known for his 1984 book on persuasion and marketing, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion.
The book has sold over three million copies and has been translated into thirty languages
You will find below the secrets of the science of persuasion of Cialdini & Martins (11min) :
Key points :
- Researchers have been studying the science of persuasion for over 60 years
- 6 shortcuts has been identified to guide our decision making and human behavior :
- Reciprocity : Obligation to give when you receive
- Scarcity : People wants more of those things they can have less of
- Authority : People will follow credible knowledgeable experts
- Consistency : Looking for and asking for commitments that can be made
- Liking : 3 important factors : People who are similar to us, people who pay us compliments, people who cooperate with us
- Consensus : People will look to the actions of others to determine their own
There we have it, 6 scientifically validated principles of persuasion that provide small, practical & often costless changes that can lead to big differences in your ability to influence & persuade others in entirely ethical way.