How to improve your Google ranking thanks to SEO?
Before diving into SEO strategy, SEO techniques and SEO tips, let’s put Google ranking and SEO into the startup context. A startup needs a continuous growth to survive.
But how can you increase your number of visitors or clients?
One of the answers is to focus on your website traffic and try different methods to increase it. As you can see on the graphic below (from HubSpot website), your traffic website may come from 7 different sources:
- Organic (SEO)
Click on the link if you want to learn more in our article about Growth Hacking.
This article is focus on the organic growth. We will explain what is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is and how to improve your Google ranking thanks to SEO.
What is SEO?
This 3 minutes video explains the concept of Search Engine Optimization, the basics of a web search engine, search algorithms, and how to optimize it!
- Every search engine has an algorithm, which is in charge of finding the right information and turns it to useful one.
- Good search results gives you a much bigger audience. The key for higher ranking is making sure your website has the ingredients that search algorithms need. This is called SEO or Search Engine Optimization.
Google SEO criterias and the most important ranking factors
Google keeps its algorithm confidential, and it’s continuously evolving.
The most recent research done in 2016 by Searchmetrics explains the main factors to be ranked high in Google. This study was done by analyzing the top 10 Google results for more than 30,000 keywords. This study explains the most important SEO factors to be top ranked in Google search.
These criteria are divided in 6 categories:
- User signals
- User experience
- Social signals
Let’s now have a look at some of the 24 criteria (from Searchmetrics study)
It is now possible to calculate a content relevance score for a text on a specific keyword or topic. The higher the relevance score, the more relevant the content of the analyzed landing page for the given search query.
Here are the important content factors to focus on:
- Content relevance
- Word Count
–> The top 10 Google results for a specific keyword have an average of 1,600 words.
–> The content relevance is an important criterion in order to be ranked high in Google.
The user signals generated by interaction are now considered amongst the most important ranking factors.
Here are the most important user signals to focus on:
- Click-Through Rate (how frequently search results are clicked on)
- The Time on Site (how long a user spends on a page)
- The Bounce Rate (percentage of single-page sessions)
–> The average bounce rate of the top 10 website is around 46%
–> The average time on site for the top 10 website is around 190 seconds.
Technical factors are the on-page factors that are a part of a website’s technical structure which are not directly related to its content. Here are the important user signals to focus on:
- Existence of H1
- Existence of H2
- Domain (TLD)
- File Size
- Site Speed
- URL length
–> 85% of the top 10 website has H1 title
–> 86% of pages in the top 10 now use the .com TLD.
–> The speed average for the top 10 website are around 7.8 s for a desktop and around 7.0s for a mobile.
The user experience is mainly driven by design and usability.
Here are the important user experience criteria to focus on:
- Number of internal links
- Number of external links
- Number of images
- Video integration
- Font size
- Interactive elements
- Presence of unordered lists
- Max Bullets in list
–> Around 126 internal links for a top 10 desktop website
–> Around 26 external links for a top 10 desktop website
The correlation between social signals and ranking position is extremely high
–> Average of 5500 FB followers for the top 10 website
Until now, the correlations for backlink factors had kept high, even though they had partly been decreasing year-on-year.
We strongly recommend reading this amazing study! All the 24 criteria are well explain here
SEO tips and tricks
This recent 9 minutes video explains some of the new requirements in SEO for 2017 and gives really good tips and best practices.
- Search engines algorithms are constantly changing and evolving. For example, the focus in 2017 is on user experience. Now search algorithms search sufficient quality content on your site by simultaneously keeping it clean, organized and easy to navigate. Mobile friendly sites are nowadays a requirement.
- Another key point is keyword placement. The use of key word can be challenging, you have to have a certain level of keyword density without getting to keyword stuffing! There are some keyword placements that can improve in ranking such as URL’s, titles, body copy, page descriptions and proper image tagging.
- Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) is a mathematical method used to determine the relationship between terms, concepts and content. LSI is fancy talk for synonyms. You can get more results by using the right amount of similar words.
- To improve the quality and number of links a SEO content marketing strategy can be done. The basics are to create good content, put it in the website and build links. To be able to do this you need to have top share-able content such as videos, info graphics, and images while focusing on the quality and not on the quantity.
- To get outside links you can do a manual outreach (link someone else and let them know that you did to see if they will link yours, you have to do this in classy way) or you can pay traffic (advertising on Facebook…). Another way is to publish on social media outlets like Pinterest.
- By doing quality content you will get more organic searches but the secret is to go for more specific topics, which are less competitive, also known as long tail keyword. Doing this will increase the probability of success and generate a steady links, traffic and leads for your business.
SEO tutorial and guide 2017 is a video dealing with how to define the best keywords, page tags, and even discussing how to continuously learn. Learn the 2017 tips, tricks, and tools in this easy tutorial (1h20) :